Saturday, August 20, 2005

Icon


For some reason, today I decided to visit a website I came across while I was taking classes at Emmanuel School of Religion. This icon, Christ Pantocrator, is one of my favorites. They used to think that it was painted in the 13th century, but now it is dated to the late 6th or early 7th century. It hangs in the Monastery of St. Catherine in Egypt at the foot of Mount Musa (or, as some call it, Mt. Sinai). The cool thing about this icon is that it represents two different natures of Christ. On the left side, it represents the Prince of Peace and risen King of Glory, but on the right side it shows the suffering servant that was beaten and crucified. It truly is amazing the things that can be communicated and taught through icons. Have a look at this presentation of Christ Pantocrator by Embody, a British web design company.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been intrigued by these icons.

I checked out the Christ Pantocrator and found myself clicking it back and forth again and again, looking up close and not so close. I don't know how long I did this, but I was surprised where I ended up.

I ended up not liking either of the halves reflected as a whole. And then I turned back to the original presentation and found myself appreciating it so much more.

I've also been planning to look up the origins of Christ's hand position.

Great post!

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home