Monday, October 17, 2005

OK, I know...

Yes, I realize that it has been a long time since I last wrote anything. I haven't even looked at my site for the past couple of weeks. In that time, much has transpired. Just to cover the bases - the Holohan's have been in South Africa for six weeks now, we have moved down the road in Tuckahoe to an apartment complex, my co-worker was fired, I sliced my wrist when a window broke and received four stitches, now I have an infection - not stitches - and can't work because of it. So, aside from our best friends moving to the dark continent, expenses because of work, not being able to work and therefore not able to make money, things are cool.
On the upside, I have begun a new book - The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. So far it's not too bad, as with most of his novels, the majority of the action takes place in main character's mind. One thing that has hit me so far is his notion of "the search." Binx Bolling, the main character, is an average guy living an average life with nothing in particular the drives him, just the everydayness of life. In the midst of his routine he has had a glimpse of this idea of a search. He defines it as "what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life." A litter further on he states that "to become aware of the possibility of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair." I guess that's where I am right now, more than aware of the possibility and definitely onto something. Who knows where we'll be next year. Suzy will finish her master's degree in May, I might get into a school for my doctorate, I may even be teaching - I guess it's all about the search...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home