Monday, January 09, 2006

Patristic thought of the day

I was thinking earlier today about my education. I have spent so much of my time studying Patristics, theology of the early Church Fathers and Mothers, and realized that I don't really put any of that to good use. When I was first introduced to the countless volumes of theology, sprituality, and religious philosophy written during the first eight centuries or so of Christianity, my gut reaction was sheer joy. I thought to myself, "This is some good stuff, and no matter how much time I spend reading it, I'll never exhaust it!" My second reaction was anger - how could I have gone through my entire life, even graduate from a Christian college and still not know how much beautiful theology was really out there, hidden from me for all these years. My third reaction was more along the lines of determination. Since I was given the opportunity to be exposed to these writings, focusing primarily on this during seminary, I felt a duty to show everyone I knew the benefit to be found in the ancient halls of Christian history. So, in an effort of good faith to carry this out I am going to highlight a particular Church Father or Mother each week by picking out some of my favorite stuff as a gift to you (maybe you'll like it as much as I do).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home