Sunday, January 15, 2006

This is not Starbucks!

Today Suzy had to work at the library for a few hours, but she had to be there half an hour before they opened so I had some time to kill. Since there is a Starbucks nearby, I thought I might go and read for half an hour and grab a cup of coffee. On my way, I noticed "The Tea House" and made a conscious decision to support the local store rather than feed giant conglomerate. The place is actually pretty cool, it was quiet and had a great place to read while enjoying a fresh cup of tea. I went to the counter, seeing that they had some oolong right in front of me, ordered a simple cup of tea - nothing fancy. He asked if I wanted it to go, I replied with a "no," and added that I wanted to read for a little while. So he rang me up for a pot of tea. I quickly responded that I only wanted one cup because I wouldn't be there that long. Seeming a little perturbed, he said, "This is not Starbucks. If you want one cup, you have to take it with you. This tea house is for people who want to enjoy their tea." Feeling a bit reprimanded, I agreed to the full pot (which was only two cups anyway) and wound up spending almost an hour "enjoying" my tea.

3 Comments:

Blogger becky said...

I love this story! (and I'm jealous of tea rooms)

It's great reading your entries, Tim. Keep it up! :)

p.s. good luck with the new job, we'll be thinking of ya as you start it.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Thanks Becky - I'll drink a cup for you next time!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My poor baby brother is soooo mistreated up there. If I can ever come visit, I will explain to that rude person that he does not treat Ithomy Eel Gardenbomer that way!

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home