Thursday, January 12, 2006

Nothing four hours won't fix...

When I was in college at Atlanta Christian College, I was thoroughly interested in studying New Testament Greek. I was a transfer student who came in on the middle of the year; needless to say I was bummed to find out I had to wait another semester before I could enroll in Greek. While in my second year of Greek, I served as the TA for the first year students grading papers and such. Not satisfied with just two years, I decided to take an additional semester with just me and Barry Blackburn, the Greek and New Testament professor. He would constantly get onto me for not remembering things I was supposed to have learned in previous semesters. When I asked him how he was able to do it, he had two replies. The first was simply - time, you have to spend a little time with it each day and it will never leave you. His second, one he always cracked a smile when he told it, was a story about a former student. Each time he asked the student how his Greek was coming along he always told Blackburn, "nothing four hours won't fix." After having tried and failed at both approaches, I still think the former is the better of the two. So, in an effort to revive my proficiency in Greek I've added a daily Greek New Testament verse to my sidebar from zhubert, in hopes that a little more will come back each day. If you're interested, they have some really cool tools to help with translation (something I will need to rely on for a while).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home